Basically, SEO Off Page includes all external positioning factors, that is, those that do not belong “to your page” and theoretically you cannot control directly through SEO On Page .
Although SEO On page is essential to create a good positioning base, most of the factors that influence the ranking of a page are based on Off Page Optimization.
And very especially, still in 2019 , in the quantity and quality of the links that point to your pages.
links are so important for positioning
it is normal for SEO Off Page to have as its main objective to achieve or facilitate other pages linking to yours.
And also to talk about them in Social Networks, Forums, Blogs, etc.
Which is more effective, SEO On Page, Off Page?
The best answer is: both.
SEO On Page is essential, but by itself it does not guarantee a good positioning, especially when you fight in competitive niches.
And that’s where SEO Off Page comes in, which will help you gain authority and raise positions in searches.
Inbound Links = Link Building
Getting Inbound Links (Link Building) can be one of the most annoying, but necessary, tasks in almost every SEO campaign.
Therefore it is an activity that you should at least know because it is very important in Web Positioning.
Why are links important?
Because they influence the PageRank a lot , since Google considers each link as a “vote of confidence”
Of course, not all links have the same importance, those that come from recognized authorities (for example Wikipedia ) will contribute more to your positioning than dozens of lower quality links (for example, comments on Blogs)
We all know that it is not easy to get a link from a website with Authority.
Google also knows it, that is why the Authority plays such an important role in assessing links.
Links dofollow? Nofollow links?
In principle it is assumed that the “dofollow” links are those that transfer part of the Authority and Pagerank of the page that links you.
And the “nofollow”, because they simply mention you, but they do not transmit authority or PageRank.
However, not everything is so simple. In the first place because (as far as I know) nobody has shown that this is always the case, so it is possible that they do transfer (even if part) these benefits.
In addition, each link, of whatever type, is an opportunity to get visitors, which are usually of better quality (more relevant to your offer) than organic visitors.
And finally: nofollow links are necessary to have a natural profile, and reduce the risk of being penalized. It would not be logical for most of your links to be dofollow.
- Natural Links (Organic): are those that are created naturally, when other pages link to yours on your own initiative. They are usually the most beneficial, but also the most difficult to obtain.
- Artificial Links (“Link Building”): they are the ones that you will create through some of the techniques that I explain below. It may be quality links, although not as valuable as organic ones, but that can be more easily achieved.
OFF Page SEO: Organic Links
They are the most valuable links, and therefore the most difficult to obtain.
The most recommended technique to achieve them is to create quality content that is useful to your visitors, and that encourages them to share them.
And although it seems complicated it is logical: if you share value with your visitors it is more possible that they share it in turn.
But … and this is very important, don’t trust them to link you and share “because you’re worth it”
Unfortunately this does not happen frequently, so you must make sure to introduce promotion and distribution techniques for your content.
Promote and distribute your own content, nobody will do it with more love.
Tips for the generation of Organic Links
Although I have already talked about content optimization, and its importance for SEO On Page, in Factor Optimization I summarize some essential points:
- Do not get demoralized if at first you have trouble writing, it is an activity that is mastered by practice: persevere and gradually you will improve.
- You do not have to write all the articles yourself , you can order them from others dedicated to this activity.
- You can get “free” quality articles if you invite other Bloggers to write on your page in exchange for offering one or more links to theirs.
- Your content will be more interesting for your visitors and Google if it contains a balanced mix of text, video, images, slideshows, etc .
- You can create a video about the content of your article , expanding it or explaining a particular detail. A short video is enough if it gets attention.
- You can create a Slideshow that summarizes the content of the article, expands it, etc.
- Photograph your products and share the images on Pinterest , Flickr and other similar websites.
- Infographics work very well because we are usually more attracted to information that is presented visually.
OFF Page SEO: Artificial links
As I said, unfortunately, even if you publish quality content you will not always be rewarded with a tide of visitors and mentions in Social Networks.
Today, still in 2019, to get in the top positions you need links.
The main problem: most websites find it impossible to get enough organic links to position themselves.
And let’s not say if you want to position yourself in a very competitive or “special” theme niche.
It is extremely difficult to position yourself with organic links, because your visitor profile is not shared.
These difficulties make the “Link building” so popular, and necessary on many occasions.
That is why it is usually offered as part of Web Positioning campaigns.
Tips for creating Artificial Links
- The speed of link creation is very important . It is not natural to get many links suddenly, the most normal is a growth in the form of a smooth curve and sustained over time.
- Be very careful if your website is new or less than a year old , since it would not be normal for links to be created quickly when your site has hardly any content or visitors.
- Do not create links only to your primary domain . Also link to your internal pages, as visitors would naturally, preferably to the page that has more relationship with the link you are creating.
- About Anchor Text it is traditionally recommended that the text by which it is linked be always your keyword. This is no longer correct, you must vary the anchor text to avoid penalties .
- Of course, try to get links from pages with Authority , and avoid those that contain SPAM or that seem suspicious.
- The best links come from pages whose contents are related to yours. If most of your links come from websites with a very different theme, Google may choose to take you on searches other than your goals.
OFF Page SEO: Comments on Blogs and Forums
Commenting on Blogs and participating in Forums is an activity that can provide you with multiple benefits.
In addition to getting links you can generate interesting relationships with other people, and by the way learn by participating.
Do not comment on a blog just to get a link: add value.
If you collaborate with an interesting comment that adds value to the conversation.
You will create links with the other participants, they will be interested in you and it is very possible that they visit your website.
Do not be tempted to use comments as a strategy to get links in bulk, with a tool like Scrapebox or similar.
The time it would take you to organize a comment campaign with an automated tool would be much better spent searching for authoritative blogs in your niche and providing valuable comments.
Keep in mind that the vast majority of the links that you can insert in a Blog or in a forum will be “nofollow”, but they will help you create a natural anchor text map and (if you choose well where to comment) a good thematic relevance In your niche
Tips for commenting on Blogs and Forums
- Use your real name , the name of your company or your website, they will be your anchor text and help you create a natural link profile.
- Search Blogs or Forums that address your theme , even if it is not necessarily directly.
- You can discover Blogs or Forums on the subject you need by searching for “tupalabraclave blog”, “tupalabraclave weblog”, “tupalabraclave forum”, etc.
- Comment when you have something important to say . Although it is okay to write to give thanks for the information in an article it is much better to contribute in a constructive way, deepening, providing new data, etc.
- Do not promote your page shamelessly , only if you can really add value to the conversation.
Guest Articles (“Guest Blogging”)
Guest Blogging consists of publishing articles on third-party websites, and is one of the best tactics for obtaining links since (if the article is of quality) in addition to getting one or several links you can generate direct traffic.
The process is relatively simple: it is about finding the most popular and relevant blogs in your niche and identifying those that accept the publication of guest articles.
In exchange for your article you usually get a link to your page in the author’s biography at the end of the article, and sometimes even one or two links in the content of the article.
Collaboration proposals are not always accepted and it is usually difficult to open the door of the most prestigious Blogs, so it is a good idea to grow with the most modest ones until your reputation is solid.
Tips for publishing guest articles
- The article must be unique , in no case a copy of another that has already been published, this is very important.
- You must make sure that you understand the Blog in which you want to publish , to write in an appropriate way to its theme and readers
- Find out about the conditions of publication , how many links you can place, where, how to present your biography, etc.
- If you have the possibility of including links in the text of the article, do not direct them to your main page , but to the page that most closely matches the article, and if possible, do so with one of your Key Phrases.
- You can find blogs that accept Guest Articles by searching on Google, for example, “tupalabraclave” + “write on our blog” or “collaborate on our blog”, etc.
Promoted Articles (“Article Marketing”)
This technique, much more common in the Anglo-Saxon market than in Spanish, is to write articles to be published in specialized pages.
According to some experts this practice is not as effective as before, but it is another weapon that should be in your arsenal.
Generally these directories are paid, and allow you to include a paragraph with the author’s biography and a couple of links to the website.
Tips for publishing promoted articles
- Avoid article directories that publish indiscriminately on all types of topics, especially those that can be interpreted as SPAM.
- The content must be “unique” , that is, it must pass the duplication tests of Copyscape or similar tools.
- Do not use automated tools to submit articles, usually these websites are very rigorous and automatic submission can make mistakes.
Although posting links to directories lately is frowned upon, it is still beneficial.
But only if you publish your link in directories of recognized quality.
There are many directories of all kinds, and it is easy to find them, although it is true that it is easier to do it in English than in Spanish.
In the free directories it is usually enough to fill out a form, and wait for our link to be approved, all very simple and fast.
But for that reason they are usually the ones that are most saturated with spam, and they will not give you the same value as a link in a quality directory, in which you have to “win” the entry.
In the payment directories the process is equally simple, except that you must make the payment at the time of registration.
There are also directories to enter for free, but they offer better visibility conditions, promoted links, etc., if you pay a fee.
Strive to be creative and find opportunities to get links that are not so obvious.
Tips for posting links to directories
- Avoid the Directories that make a manual review of the links, since they are usually paid land for SPAM.
- Search Directories that have something to do with the theme of your website .
- Run away from the Directories where you see SPAM .
- Find directories by searching Google for “mifraseclave directory”.
- Do not send the same page several times to the same Directory, alternate addresses and link text (Anchor Text)
Reciprocal Links (“Reciprocal Links”)
A reciprocal link is one in which a website links you in exchange for you doing the same.
It is a simple system that has given very good results, but lately (2019) it is more controlled by Google, and these links are no longer as effective as one-way ones.
Google cannot know for sure if a reciprocal link is natural or artificial, so choose to assume that a one-way link is much more likely to be natural and therefore gives more importance.
Tips for getting reciprocal links
- Having a certain amount of reciprocal links does not have to be harmful, since it is natural that websites that share a theme link to each other .
- Whenever possible, exchange links with websites that , without being your direct competition, deal with the same topics .
- If you have a business, exchange links with your customers , suppliers, etc.
- Carefully choose the text of your link and the Keywords you will use, change the text of the link, using Secondary Keywords, etc.
Until a few years ago this was one of the most common and effective practices … and to some extent it still is.
The problem is that paid links do not like Google, because it knows they are very effective, and if it catches you it will penalize you.
Google’s algorithms are increasingly capable of detecting patterns that betray the purchase of links, so be very careful.
Tips for buying links
- DO NOT go to the “big sellers” , or those who advertise themselves openly.
- Contact websites with a high Authority to negotiate the purchase of a link.
- You can see the most important links of your competitors using a specialized tool for link research like LinkMiner .
Ask for linksThis technique is as simple as the name implies: it is about asking to be linked for free.
If you contact the right person and your page can add value, it usually produces positive results.
Tips for requesting links
- Analyze the website to which you are going to request the link , make sure that its theme is similar, and that its visitors may be interested in yours.
- Look for pages that collect information about your subject and that are not or may become your direct competitors.
- If you have a company, ask your customers to link you .
- Search for pages or articles in which your website is mentioned , or one of your pages but not linked to it, and suggest that they link to you.
At this point it is already clear that Social Networks occupy an increasingly important place in online marketing.
Although they do not directly influence the web positioning, it is known that Google relies on them to determine the author of a content and its authority on the issues it publishes.
We could say that now, in addition to the “traditional” page authority system, we have a new type of authority: the “author authority”
According to various opinions, the content that is shared on Facebook is one of the social signals that is most associated to help to achieve a good positioning.
Twitter on the other hand is an excellent tool to connect with customers and launch viral marketing campaigns. And Google Plus is fully integrated into searches.
Social networks can be an excellent way to get authority and links, but also to find new customers or retain those you already have.
Although you must take into account the cost of creating and maintaining an active social profile, so you must find out which social network may be more convenient for your case.
Tips to generate links with Social Networks
- There are not only Facebook, Twitter and Google Plus, there are hundreds of Social Networks that can be more or less relevant depending on your niche market and your target audience.
- The most representative Social Networks are : Facebook , YouTube , Instagram , Twitter , Reddit , Vine , Pinterest , Ask.fm , Tumblr , Flickr , Google+ and LinkedIn .
- If you have a business, or want to promote a product, a Facebook page is very useful to connect with your potential customers .
- Use Twitter as a communication channel with your clients or potential clients
- Use Google Plus Hangouts to chat with your customers and answer questions about your products.
- Create a Linkedin profile and connect with your colleagues, customers and professionals in your sector. It is an excellent way to discover ideas and share experiences.
As you will see, SEO Off Page is an activity that takes a lot of time and effort, and is often worth delegating to a team of professionals, especially if you have a business with which you make a living.
Although this article has more than 3,000 words, it only deals with the most essential aspects of this task, given its complexity and constant updating, so if you have been interested in this topic I advise you to continue searching and contrasting information.